Saturday 16 March 2013

Women's History Month 2013 - Day 16

I want to showcase another one of my current heroes of science today. I first came across her when I saw her TED talk on her experiences of having a stroke. She has inspired me in my own love of pyschology and neuroscience and through reading her work I have gained a better understanding of how the brain works and how we interact with the world around us. Dr Jill Bolte Taylor is a Harvard-trained neuroanatomist, with a particular interest in the pathology of brains in connection with schizophrenia and the severe mental illnesses. In 1996, she, herself, suffered a massive stroke and spent the next eight years recovering from it, and since then has been a spokesperson and speaker on neurological recovery.

Dr Jill Bolte Taylor (born 1959)

Dr Taylor has meant so much to me as I discovered her at a time when I’d seen my own father suffer from strokes and dementia, and she helped give me a great insight into what may be happing inside his mind. She has also helped me consolidate some of my own wonderings about the workings of our minds and how we connect to the world, to life and to death.

Rather than do my usual biography, I wrote to Dr Taylor and asked her some questions about her experiences of being a women in science in honour of Women’s History Month, and lo and behond if she didn’t reply! So I would add in that not only is she a brilliant scientist, speaker and inspiration to many, she is also a super nice lady! As I discovered Dr Taylor’s work through her TED talk (my favourite TED talk of all time) please do watch it if you can, and you’ll see why I am so inspired by her.





When you were growing up, who were the women who inspired you? Did you have any role models?

I had two powerful female role models when I was young, my mother who was a superwoman – a mother of three, wife of a clergyman with a 300 family congregation; and math professor at the local university. There was also my 'adopted mother' ,who lived right across the street who stimulated my interest in biology and animal dissection.



Did you encounter much sexism or discrimination in your chosen academic career of neuroanatomy? And if so, how did you overcome this?

Yes, but I didn't let it get in my way. It was clear to me that to be a successful woman in science it was necessary to be more competitive than my male counterparts. And even if that didn't pay off, I could have made an issue of it, gotten my nose out of joint about it or just put in my effort, serve my time, jump through the hoops and move on. I chose to not throw bad energy and feed negative causes.



What has been the highlight of your career so far?

Having a stroke, recovering from it, writing a book about it that went to the NY Times bestseller list and ultimately buying my freedom from any academic institution so I can now pick and choose what I want to do with my time rather than have that dictated by a boss.



What advice would she have to any young women who are trying to get into psychology and neuroscience today?

Learn neuroanatomy and everything about the brain you can learn. Knowledge of the brain is power, because so many people shy away from it by thinking it is too hard to learn. Don't fall into that trap, don't shy away. The neuroanatomy of the brain is beautiful, and if you have that knowledge then it will underly everything else about the brain you will study.


A big thank you to Dr Taylor for answering my questions.

No comments: